Blog Tour, Review & Giveaway: Dive Smack by Demetra Brodsky
Dive Smack by Demetra Brodsky releases next week and I am so excited for this book to be in the world. If I could, I would give it 10 out of 5 stars, it’s my favorite book of the year so far! Even weeks after I finished Dive Smack, trying to put together coherent words is still a challenge. WHAT the heck? When do I get my heart back? Check out my ‘5 Reasons Why I Loved Dive Smack,’ a sample of the audiobook, and be sure to enter the tour-wide giveaway!
Theo Mackey only remembers one thing for certain about the fire that destroyed his home: he lit the match.
Sure, it was an accident. But the blaze killed his mom and set his dad on a path to self-destruction. Everything else about that fateful night is full of gaping holes in Theo’s mind, for good reason. Maybe it’s better that way. As captain of the Ellis Hol-low Diving Team, with straight A’s and solid friends, he’s only one semester away from securing a scholarship, and leaving his past behind.
But when a family history project gets assigned at school, new memories come rushing to the surface, memories that make him question what he really knows about his family, the night of the fire, and if he can trust anyone—including himself.
Here’s what I loved about #DIVESMACK (basically everything):
1. Characters you can’t forget. Thrillers are at their best for me when they’re character first. When I’m looking for thrill, I want to be inside the character’s heads, feeling what they’re feeling, questioning what they’re questioning. Dive Smack puts the characters front and center; Theo’s voice is clear through the story.
2. An interesting parallel with diving and Theo’s life. Demetra starts every chapter with a dive term that directly correlates to the piece of the story that unfolds within. This adds intrigue and also builds the reader’s sense of what Theo is experiencing.
3. The build toward the unraveling. As the story progresses, you become completely unnerved. My skin was crawling all the way through the end.
4. Psychology that will make you rethink everything you knew. I can’t say a lot about how the psychological aspect of the story unfolds but you find out quickly that not everything is what it seems. It’s like not what you assume, either.
5. A satisfying ending. The end never felt rushed or unbelievable. I appreciate that my questions were answered!
. . .
PS – we all need a Chip in our lives. #YouGotThis <3
Demetra Brodsky is an award-winning graphic designer & art director turned writ-er. She has a B.F.A from the Massachusetts College of Art and Design and lives in Southern California with her family of four and two lovable rescue dogs. Dive Smack, her debut novel, is dedicated to Pumpkin, the monarch butterfly she once saved from the brink of death. Once you read the book, you’ll understand why. She is a first generation Greek-American and a member of International Thriller Writers. Dive Smack is a 2018 Junior Library Guild Selection.
Hardcover copy of DIVE SMACK by Demetra Brodsky & Prize pack of necklace, bracelet, signed bookmark, & signed book plate! US only, ends 6/26.