Blog Tour & Feature: Reading & Watching Recs for Fans of The Buried and the Bound by Rochelle Hassan
We here at BookCrushin are big fans of the weird and paranormal. I mean, we bonded over watching Supernatural! So books and other media in that realm are always a win.
We are here celebrating the release of The Buried and the Bound, full of monsters, magic, and fae. What’s it called when you’re mood reading the same themes or genre…but watching the same stuff? Whatever that is, we have you covered with some book, comic, tv, and movie recs for when you finish The Buried and the Bound!
The Buried and the Boundby Rochelle Hassan
Published by: Roaring Brook Press
on January 24, 2023
Genres: Paranormal, Young Adult
A contemporary fantasy YA debut from Rochelle Hassan about monsters, magic, and wicked fae, perfect for fans of The Darkest Part of the Forest and The Hazel Wood.
As the only hedgewitch in Blackthorn, Massachusetts—an uncommonly magical place—Aziza El-Amin has bargained with wood nymphs, rescued palm-sized fairies from house cats, banished flesh-eating shadows from the local park. But when a dark entity awakens in the forest outside of town, eroding the invisible boundary between the human world and fairyland, run-of-the-mill fae mischief turns into outright aggression, and the danger—to herself and others—becomes too great for her to handle alone.
Leo Merritt is no stranger to magical catastrophes. On his sixteenth birthday, a dormant curse kicked in and ripped away all his memories of his true love. A miserable year has passed since then. He's road-tripped up and down the East Coast looking for a way to get his memories back and hit one dead end after another. He doesn't even know his true love's name, but he feels the absence in his life, and it's haunting.
Desperate for answers, he makes a pact with Aziza: he’ll provide much-needed backup on her nightly patrols, and in exchange, she’ll help him break the curse.
When the creature in the woods sets its sights on them, their survival depends on the aid of a mysterious young necromancer they’re not certain they can trust. But they’ll have to work together to eradicate the new threat and take back their hometown... even if it forces them to uncover deeply buried secrets and make devastating sacrifices.
What to Read & Watch After Finishing The Buried and the Bound
- Being Human: Paranormal roommates? Watch the US or the UK version!
- Supernatural: Come on, you knew we had to include it. Plus, there’s over 300 episodes for you to enjoy!
- Carnival Row: Bonus steampunk.
- Wednesday: a dark academia, murder mystery involving monsters, magic, and a cast of new & familiar characters.
- Coven by Jennifer Dugan: This graphic novel has magic, family curses, and some creepy hometown vibes!
- The Magicians by Lev Grossman: What’s the latest term for contemporary magic? This book is it.
- Witches Steeped in Gold by Ciannon Smart: Enemy witches must form an alliance.
- All of Us Villains by Amanda Foody & C.L. Herman: A magical group of teens must fight to the death to secure which family controls and manages magic.