Valentine’s Day Book Recommendations
Happy Valentine’s Day to all the book lovers out there! We love books, and we love making book recommendations, so figured today was a great day to celebrate books with ‘heart’ in the title! Happy Hearts Day!
Books with Heart!
1. The Heartbreak Bakery by A.R. Capetta
I highly recommend this queer normative (angsty!) book where pronouns are a major discussion and the queer family and queer spaces just feels like a warm mug of cocoa and don’t forget to make some brownies to go along, otherwise you will be hungry for sweets the entire time – that is my warning! This book is sweet and salty…and you will devour it!
Thank you to Candlewick Press for the gifted finished copy!
The Heartbreak BakeryPublished by: Candlewick Press
on October 12, 2021
Genres: Contemporary Romance, LGBTQIA+, Young Adult
Teenage baker Syd sends ripples of heartbreak through Austin’s queer community when a batch of post-being-dumped brownies turns out to be magical—and makes everyone who eats them break up.
“What’s done is done.”Unless, of course, it was done by my brownies. Then it’s getting undone.
Syd (no pronouns, please) has always dealt with big, hard-to-talk-about things by baking. Being dumped is no different, except now Syd is baking at the Proud Muffin, a queer bakery and community space in Austin. And everyone who eats Syd’s breakup brownies . . . breaks up. Even Vin and Alec, who own the Proud Muffin. And their breakup might take the bakery down with it. Being dumped is one thing; causing ripples of queer heartbreak through the community is another. But the cute bike delivery person, Harley (he or they, check the pronoun pin, it’s probably on the messenger bag), believes Syd about the magic baking. And Harley believes Syd’s magical baking can fix things, too—one recipe at a time.
2. Heartstopper by Alice Osman – queer webtoon turned graphic novel with all 4 volumes available now to binge away!
3. Jack of Hearts (and Other Parts) by Lev A.C. Rosen – sex positive YA that delves into deeper topics, of bullying, gossip, and safe sex.
4. Tash Hearts Tolstoy by Kathryn Ormsbee – viral vlogger deals with sudden fame and the coming of age issues that also revolve around asexual identity.
5. This Poison Heart by Kalynn Bayron – contemporary fantasy that is pure apothecary magic!
6. Comics Will Break Your Heart by Faith Erin Hicks – YA contemporary that has depth beyond just romance, with a rivals to lovers and of course the comics & geeky fun!