Welcome to Comic Crush Saturday, our bi-weekly feature focused on the graphic elements of the book world. Comics became a huge part of my life a few years ago when I started reviewing them (and comic related TV shows) on Forever Young Adult. I’ve maintained a pulllist through my local comic shop, Isotope Comics, and even got Kelly to start one ;). You’ll find mini-reviews, what we’ve read recently, and more so check it out!
Top 10 Graphic Novels & Comic Series of 2018
The last Comic Crush of the year is dedicated to one final round up of our favorite comics and the news from the last few weeks. This list in no way captures all of the graphic novels that captured our hearts this year (it also only lists series where at least the first volume is available) but it’s a start!
- Runaways by Rainbow Rowell, with art by Kris Anka
- Check, Please by Ngozi Ukazu
- Hey, Kiddo by Jarrett J. Krosoczka
- Prince and the Dressmaker by Jen Wang
- West Coast Avengers by Kelly Thompson, with art by Stefano Caselli
- Wires and Nerve: Gone Rogue by Marissa Meyer, with art by Stephen Gilpin
- Cloak and Dagger by Dennis Hopeless, with art by David Messina
- Fence by C.S. Pacat, with art by Johanna the Mad
- Fake Blood by Whitney Gardner
- Supernova (Amulet #8) by Kazu Kibuishi
What We Can’t Wait For
Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell, with art by Faith Hicks
Don’t lie. You’re excited, too.
Best News of the Week
The Giver by Lois Lowry is my first YA love and we got a glimpse of the graphic novel adaption!
Not officially published yet! But coming soon…here’s a glimpse: the graphic novel of THE GIVER pic.twitter.com/VPih6G6B5x
— Lois Lowry (@LoisLowryWriter) November 29, 2018
Kelly Sue DeConnick has the best Christmas card ever. Fight me.
From our family to yours this holiday season. pic.twitter.com/niHLdYQflS
— Kelly Sue DeConnick (@kellysue) December 2, 2018
You saw Captain Marvel’s badass mohawk in the trailer, right? See the story behind it.
In case you’re intimidated by how long the Ms. Marvel series got (it.me.), it’s about to start over with a new creative team.
Kelly and I are OBSESSED with Glow, the Netflix original. And now it’s getting the comic book treatment!