Audiobook Review: It Came from the Sky by Chelsea Sedoti
It Came From the Sky is a fascinating, character driven, and family focused story that includes 1 big hoax, 2 brothers on a mission, adults aplenty doing things they’ll have to atone to, and 0 actual aliens. Told through a series of prose, documents, journal entries, and more, this contemporary story is one to pick up this fall! Check out the 5 things I loved most about this story and come check us out on IG live this Sunday!
It Came From the Skyby Chelsea Sedoti
Published by: Sourcebooks Fire
on August 4, 2020
Genres: Sci-Fi, Young Adult
Audiobook through LibroFM, Audible
From the author of The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett and As You Wish comes the unforgettable story of the one small town's biggest hoax and the two brothers who started it all.
This is the absolutely true account of how Lansburg, Pennsylvania was invaded by aliens and the weeks of chaos that followed. There were sightings of UFOs, close encounters, and even abductions. There were believers, Truth Seekers, and, above all, people who looked to the sky and hoped for more.
Only...there were no aliens.
Gideon Hofstadt knows what really happened. When one of his science experiments went wrong, he and his older brother blamed the resulting explosion on extraterrestrial activity. And their lie was not only believed by their town―it was embraced. As the brothers go to increasingly greater lengths to keep up the ruse and avoid getting caught, the hoax flourishes. But Gideon's obsession with their tale threatened his whole world. Can he find a way to banish the aliens before Lansburg, and his life, are changed forever?
Told in a report format and comprised of interviews, blog posts, text conversations, found documents, and so much more, It Came from the Sky is a hysterical and resonant novel about what it means to be human in the face of the unknown.
5 Things I Loved About It Came From the Sky
- It’s FUN. It’s full of laughs and silly things, wrapped up in some more series stuff. I kept listening to see what would happen next.
- Brotherhood. Ishmael and Gideon couldn’t be more different but at the end of the day, they have each other.
- Mixed media. This book is a treat in physical and audio forms. It’s told in reports, texts, interviews, and more. We don’t have many contemporary novels written this way – it’s usually scifi or thriller! The audiobook has a great narrator who voices the various pieces well.
- Flawed but caring adults. The parents are IN THIS BOOK. They have fully fleshed out personalities and they’re not perfect by any means!
- Youth doing the right things (some of the time). When it counts, the youth take the right steps to protect someone. Mischief is saved for the alien hoax!