Blog Tour: The Disasters by M.K. England
The Disasters by M.K. England was just released this week and we are thrilled to be a part of the blog tour! Since this is a space book with hotshot pilot who failed out of space academy…I thought I would highlight some of my favorite space pilots in TV & film!
The Disastersby M.K. England
Published by HarperCollins
on December 18, 2018
Genres: Young Adult, Sci-Fi
Amazon, IndieBound, Book Depository, B&N
Hotshot pilot Nax Hall has a history of making poor life choices. So it’s not exactly a surprise when he’s kicked out of the elite Ellis Station Academy in less than twenty-four hours.
But Nax’s one-way trip back to Earth is cut short when a terrorist group attacks the Academy. Nax and three other washouts escape—barely—but they’re also the sole witnesses to the biggest crime in the history of space colonization. And the perfect scapegoats.
On the run and framed for atrocities they didn’t commit, Nax and his fellow failures execute a dangerous heist to spread the truth about what happened at the Academy.
They may not be “Academy material,” and they may not get along, but they’re the only ones left to step up and fight.
TOP 5 SPACE PILOTS
Since Nax is one of those hotshot pilots who makes rash decisions but has a heart of gold I figured I would shout out to all his predicessors in our sci-fi world!
- Han Solo – Is there any other hotshot pilot that comes to mind before Han? Didn’t think so! Star Wars FTW! He’s a smuggler, he’s a scoundrel, he’s a scruffy-looking nerfherder! He made the Kessel Run in twelve parsecs!
- Kara Thrace – I am not afraid to admit how much Battlestar Gallactica I’ve watched…and I still frakking love it. Kara is a live wire, she has made mistakes, but she also has such a will. She is also the best damn pilot to grace the colonies.
- Poe Dameron – I can’t help it, Star Wars has some amazing hotshot pilots and I could do a whole post on them, but I can’t ever leave out Poe. Not only is he the best star pilot in the resistance, you can count on him to be loyal to the very end.
- Hikaru Sulu – I feel like it would be wrong of me to over look Star Trek in this list. So of course I have to include one of the first openly gay characters in the francise, and with the diversity included in The Disasters, I can totally see where M.K. gained some influences from Capt. Sulu!
- Hoban Washburn – Wash from Firefly may have graduated top of his flight school class, but he ended up piloting the Serenity and got them in and out of trouble along the way.
So if you like space, if you like found families, pop culture, and diverse reads…then I think it is safe to say you will really enjoy The Disasters! It is full of misfits who ban together to save not only their own necks but the whole damn, colonized world of space!