#SBS August Wrap-Up
Welcome to our monthly feature where we talk about what we read, adopted into our libraries, and what’s on our minds. After hosting #SignedBookSundays on instagram for 5+ years, we have transitioned to this format as a way to share signed books and talk about bookish (and personal) highlights. Join us the last Sunday or last day of every month (or whatever day today is…)!
In Case You Missed It
- We celebrated Ashley Poston’s 4 most recent & upcoming releases with mini-reviews!
- Reviewed Jamie Lee Curtis’ graphic novel Mother Nature!
- Shared Sherlock inspired YA Book Recs!
- Read Queer All Year Fall 2023 Anticipated Reads & Bookshop page
- The old signed books page has broken, so I created a new one, Where to Buy Signed Books, so if you bookmarked it or linked to it, update your links, please!
- We curate a Bookshop page with most of the current YA New Releases – if you enjoy our content please consider supporting us by buying books through our links or shop, or we have a Ko-Fi!
What We Read
Kelly: How did I think I read more than 7 books this month, grrr. I really think I am reading well, and then I see it’s just 7 books but 2 were large fantasy books, so that is kind of double, lol. Standouts were:
- Painted Devils by Margaret Owen – 5 stars – the second book in the Little Thieves series and whoa boy this series is just the perfection of the morally grey character. So fun.
- New Adult by Timothy Janovsky – 4.5 stars – Sweet, kind, funny, queer adult romcom! This one has that little bit of magic, that time travel trope that I LOVE, and it worked so well.
Christy: Only 3 books this month – what happened? At least they were all good?
- Margo Zimmerman Gets the Girl by Brianna R. Shrum & Sara Waxelbaum – Several people recommended this to me and they were RIGHT. A sex-positive super cute sapphic story. Need I say more?
- Star Wars: The High Republic: Path of Vengeance by Cavan Scott – ngl this phase has been boring to me but the last hour of this book brought it all together!
What We Hauled
Where we share our gifted and promotional books from authors and publishers, as well as the signed books we purchased (this is #SBS after all)! You can check our Where to Buy Signed Books page for more!
- Firsts and Lasts: 16 Stories from Our World and Beyond ed by Laura Silverman – Releasing Sept 26th – Thank you to Penguin Workshop for the finished copy!
- The Bell in the Fog by Lev AC Rosen – Releasing October 10th – Thank you Tor Forge for the advance copy!
- Wish of the Wicked by Danielle Paige – Releasing November 7th – Thank you Bloomsbury for the advance copy!
- Unexpecting by Jen Bailey – Available Now – Thank you Wednesday Books for the finished copy!
- Signed Books added to my collection this month: New Adult by Timothy Janovsky, The Bone Season 10th Anniversary ed by Samantha Shannon, Her Radiant Curse by Elizabeth Lim, and The Infinity Particle by Wendy Xu!
- A Scatter of Light by Malinda Lo – TY to Penguin for sending me a PB! It is just as beautiful as its hardcover cousin.
- The Bell in the Fog by Lev AC Rosen – We love a good sequel by an autobuy author! TY to Forge!
- Teach the Torches to Burn by Caleb Roehrig – If Caleb writes it, I will buy it.
What We Hope to Read
Kelly: There are so many books…so little time. It’s Sapphic September and it’s spooky season, so you know both Christy & my favorite genres so this should be an excellent reading month! My hopeful TBR is TBD…but I would like to read these few this month.
- The Bewitching Hour by Ashley Poston
- Assistant to the Villain by Hannah Nicole Maehrer
Christy: Besides Sapphic September and spooky szn (which I am sure will get their own posts)…
- Find Him Where You Left Him Dead by Kristen Simmons
- A Quantum Love Story by Mike Chen
On the Top of Our Minds
Please I’m manifesting fall vibes on the blog in my booksta now I just need the weather to catch up. I want to wear hoodies and skullies, read books under a blanket. Is that too much to ask? I’m sick and tired of being hot. Oh and I’m about to go on a beach vacation. Not sure whose ideal place that is, but it’s not mine. Sand is annoying and I burn so quickly – just imagine me covered with long sleeves wearing mostly black under a hat and umbrella trying to stay away from the sun. I look so out of place. But it’s my 2nd vacation of the year and I’ll be bringing a stack on graphic novels and trying to relax!
Can’t wait for this fall release season and all the fun things to do!
I stg it is not September! I am not ready for summer to be over. I started the month seeing one of my fav bands to celebrate their sweet 16 and 10th album release! Had some disappointing races. Saw Haunted Mansion (fun if you don’t take it serious). Did a Barbie drag cycle and have fallen in love with a cycle/yoga/pole studio 1300 miles away from me. Rode a bike dressed as Barbie for Tour de Fat. Saw Duran Duran. Planned and packed for upcoming Disney trips! Phew.