ARC Review: Of Princes and Promises by Sandhya Menon
It’s been a whirlwind of stories over the last few years from Sandhya Menon and out this week is the second book in my new fav series from her! I’m super excited to talk to you about Of Princes and Promises, which is a reimagining of The Frog Prince. Check out 5 reasons to pick this one up below!
Of Princes and Promises (St. Rosetta's Academy, #2)by Sandhya Menon
Published by: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
on June 8, 2021
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult
From the New York Times bestselling author of When Dimple Met Rishi comes the second installment in a brand-new series set an elite boarding school that’s a contemporary spin on fairy tales, this one a delightful, romantic twist on The Frog Prince.
Caterina LaValle is determined to show she’s still the queen of St. Rosetta’s Academy. Sure, her crown may be slightly askew after her ex-boyfriend, Alaric, cheated on her, but she’s a LaValle. She’ll find a way to march right back in there, her hands clutching the strings to the whole puppet show. This time, she’s going to be untouchable.
Rahul Chopra knows that moment he shared with Caterina LaValle at the winter formal meant something. Surely she feels it, too. He’s a little uncertain how someone like him (socially inept to a point way past “adorkable”) could fit into her world, but he’s loved Caterina for years. He knows they’ll find a way.
When Caterina finds out Alaric is taking a supermodel to the upcoming gala, she knows she cannot arrive without the perfect date. But the thought of taking another superficial St. R’s boy exhausts her. The solution? Sweet-but-clueless Rahul Chopra and a mysterious pot of hair gel with the power to alter the wearer into whatever his heart desires.
When Rahul tries it, he transforms instantly into RC—debonair, handsome, and charming. But transformation comes with a price: As Rahul enjoys his new social standing, the line between his two personas begins to blur. Will he give up everything, including Caterina, to remain RC? Or will this unlikely pair find their way back to each other?
There are A LOT of reasons to pick up a Sandhya Menon book so narrowing it down to 5 was a challenge. Here’s a selection of reasons you need book 2 in The St. Rosetta’s Academy series!
- Even though it’s part of a series, this book can stand alone. There’s plenty of context on the characters and setting to put you in a good place (but I HIGHLY recommend Of Curses and Kisses)
- The main themes of The Frog Prince are held perfectly within the context of a wealthy boarding school. Spoiled princess and persistent (froggy) prince but far more fleshed out.
- It’s slightly magical! I don’t want to spoil it but it’s an additional detail I haven’t yet seen in Sandhya’s books.
- An emotional journey. It’s dual POV so you get to know the characters not only from their actions but through the other MC’s eyes.
- Fake dating! This is a popular trope right now and Sandhya dives right in!