#SBS October Monthly Wrap-Up
Welcome to our monthly feature where we talk about what we read, adopted into our libraries, and what’s on our minds. After hosting #SignedBookSundays on instagram for 4+ years, we are transitioning to this format as a way to share signed books and talk about bookish (and personal) highlights. Join us the last Sunday or last day of every month (or whatever day today is…we are busy!)!
In Case You Missed It
- Giveaway! Win a signed copy of I’m Dreaming of a Wyatt Christmas
- Review: Summer Sons by Lee Mandelo
- We curate a Bookshop page with most of the YA New Releases – please consider supporting us by buying books through our links or shop, or we have a Ko-Fi!
What We Read
Kelly: I created a Spooky Reads TBR and it was very ambitious and hopeful, but I did read some great SPKYSZN books!
- Summer Sons by Lee Mandelo – adult, messy queers, grief, and a southern gothic murder mystery!
- The Kingdom of the Wicked by Kerri Maniscalco – I loved the witches & demons, and the overall witchy-ness of this one!
- The Witch King by H.E. Edgmon – secret communities of the Fae & magical witches clash for freedom & rights, all wrapped into a very accepting trans narrative.
- The Ex Hex by Erin Sterling – adult romance, super cute, mildly steamy, and very witchy romcom!
Christy: IT’S SPOOKY SEASON!!!! (or, it was) So I was ALL IN on the spooky reads. Of course, now it’s time to switch to Christmas haha.
- Any Sign of Life by Rae Carson – What could go wrong reading a post-apocalyptic pandemic book? This one was actually completely different than I thought it was and SO GOOD.
- The Lost Girls by Sonia Hartl – Lady vamps bonding together to get revenge on their trash vamp ex? Yes.
- All These Bodies by Kendare Blake – Apparentely it was vampire month around here. Or is it? You’ll have to read this one and let me know what you think.
- Brackenbeast by Kate Alice Marshall – Again, I would read Kate’s grocery list (and it would probably scare the shit out of me) so of course I had to read their follow up MG book. The third one was just announced and I CAN’T WAIT. If you love classic spooky Disney movies, this series is for you.
What We Hauled
You too can be obsessed with signed books, look here for where to buy a copy from your favorite author’s local indie or preorder incentives that include bookplates.
- Golden Boys by Phil Stamper – Queer summer adventures where you start figuring out who you are! – February 8th (courtesy of Bloomsbury YA)
- The Bone Spindle by Leslie Vedder – Sleeping Beauty meets Indiana Jones … and yeah that was all I needed to hear to request this one! – January 11th (courtesy of Penguin Teen)
- Anything But Fine by Tobias Madden – when your future plans are all in place until it is shattered, then having to pick yourself up and figure out if your life is more than you thought. – January 25th (courtesy of Page Street YA)
- Medusa by Jessie Burton – feminist retelling of the Greek myth with full page illustrations! – January 11th (courtesy of Bloomsbury YA)
- The One True Me and You by Remi K. England – queer contemporary from an author I adore! – This one coming out on March 1st (courtesy of Wednesday Books)
- Little Thieves by Margaret Owen – (courtesy of Fierce Reads) & a signed copy from Third Place Books
- The Heartbreak Bakery by A.R. Capetta – signed copy from Bear Pond Books
- Squad by Maggie Tokuda-Hall – signed copy from East Bay Books!
- Thronebreakers (Crownchasers #2) by Rebecca Coffindaffer – signed copy from The Raven Bookstore!
- One True Me and You by M.K. England – TY to Wednesday Books. We are obsessed with M.K. around these parts and can’t WAIT for this one
- Vespertine by Margaret Rogerson – TY to Simon for sending me one of the few fantasy authors I can read!
- Squad by Maggie Tokuda-Hall – Perfect for spooky season.
- Into Every Generation: A Slayer is Born by Evan Ross Kate – TY to Hachette. Now seems like the perfect time to dive into this non-fiction story, having just finished In Every Generation!
What We Hope to Read
I am never great with a real TBR, but most of the books I have are hopeful reads…but more specifically I have a few more spooky reads to tackle, then it’s usually the time I get into cozy fantasy stories, and I sure hope I get into the fantasy mood this year, because I am so far behind!
- Little Thieves by Margaret Owen
- Squad by Maggie Tokuda-Hall
- Kingdom of the Cursed (Kingdom of the Wicked, #2) by Kerri Maniscalco
- Under the Whispering Door by TJ Klune
It’s officially Christmas (that’s what happens at midnight on Nov 1st, right?) so I am hoping to dive into Christmas reads soon. We have a post coming but here are some of the books I want to get to this month.
- All I Want for Christmas is the Girl Next Door by Chelsea Bobulski
- You’ve Reached Sam by Dustin Thao
- Witch Please by Ann Aguirre
On the Top of Our Minds
Kelly: I am still in a time-warp vortex of days passing too fast and at the same time working feels like its forever…My blogging and bookstagramming are on my back burner but I have lots of great ideas for posts and one day if it’s still relevant maybe they will be drafted or hosted. I still have stacks of books to ship to people and I still find myself with a gigantic mental block for some reason and its like when will I find the time?! Ugh must do before this year is up.
Another month of buying 4xs as many books as I am reading…and the never ending TBR cycle continues.
Christy: I blinked and October flew by! We are officially in Colorado now and just experienced our first snow. Slowly making our way through the unpacking process – I think my library might almost be done? *cries in boxes*
I am also processing future employment opportunities and balancing grad school. I am 5 classes from being done (taking two now) and just not sure what opportunities I want to explore. I am not ready to go back to full time leadership, that I know. I’m not even sure I am ready to go back to work full time. I am in the middle of several interview processes and need to make a decision soon!
I’m in kind of a slump in books and TV. Anyone else? I did just finish Locke & Key – the season started rocky and picked up. Season 3 is going to be great. Going to finish You and then figure out what’s next? I also have a million eps of Arrowverse shows to watch.